Our 6th graders have the opportunity to explore Washington D.C., its monuments and other important museums and sights as they travel by plane and public transportation with teachers and chaperones. Students try new foods, learn to budget their meal allowance and enjoy the thrill of our nation’s capital.
Each year at TNSM, elementary students celebrate Halloween in a special way. The photos below, show some of the famous characters we’ve identified from previous years through their clever costumes and spoken clues about their lives. The 6th graders share their love of anatomy in a “D’em Bones” song that lists bones from (head) parietal bone… to (toe) the distal phalanges.
We are looking forward to this year’s celebration. Our typical schedule is listed below:
- At 12:15 the elementary children celebrate Halloween by having a party outdoors at recess. A number of volunteer parents sign up to bring healthy snacks and to help with crafts and games.
- At 1:45 the 6th graders sing their rendition of “D’em Bones” on the porch steps, covering many of the 206 bones in the human body in song. Parents are invited to attend.
- At 2:00 the elementary students dress up as famous historical or literary characters and parents and students guess who they might be from clues the child discloses. Parents are also invited to attend the “Who Am I?” portion of the festivities too.
Sign-up sheets for conference times will be available prior to conference day. Watch our weekly newsletter for notification of sign-up sheets being posted or sent through SignUpGenius. Childcare is provided on an as-needed basis for children of New School age if you let us know you need it.
Parents of kindergartners and 3rd graders are to arrive at 6:00 p.m. for their meeting at TNSM.
- The evening will begin in the Growing Room at 6:00 p.m. During that time there will a 15 minute presentation and a short video. At 6:30 parents will divide up and gather in prospective classroom environments for a 30-minute information and Q&A session.
- This is a great way to see what it is to come for your child next year both socially and academically. It is also an opportunity for you to get to know the teachers if your child is graduating into the (6-9) or (9-12) program.
- Child care will be provided. (3-6) childcare will gather in the Buckeye Room and the (6-12) Child care will gather in the Annex.
We have 12 parent board members each year who meet with administrative staff to help guide the business and mission of the school. You are welcome to attend TNSM Board meetings usually held on the 3rd Tuesday of most months.
Elementary students perform a Thanksgiving play, a brief skit or a poetry reading as a way of sharing what they’re thankful for. There are also opportunities to give thanks with our annual community participation with Northside’s CAIN Foodbank. You may deliver clothes or canned goods to the Mansion Lobby on Monday and Tuesday of this week.
Parents and families are invited to attend and are welcome to join us after the students’ presentations for a small piece of pumpkin pie.